Sunday, February 24, 2008

Tasso Ham - The Dish



Alright, so I got an e-mail request for a recipe using Scott's Tasso Ham and thought that was a great idea. Coincidentally, the ham made it on the menu this past saturday, so the video above is the menu item. It's our take on the traditional shrimp and grits. We used amazing scallops, cheddar and house smoked bacon grits and a lobster and tasso sauce. Just to gild the lilly a little bit, I decided to add chunks of lobster to the finished sauce. The whole thing seems a little decadent(isn't that the point) and perhaps a bit heavy. Here's the thing. The tasso is amazingly balanced and has just the right amount of spice to cut through the heaviness of the cheddar and cream based sauce. What's amazing about this dish is that the tasso also elevates the lobster which I found really cool....All the components taste amazing on their own, but when put together they also are great 'friends'. A note...I like a very small splash of banyuls vinegar in the lobster sauce. I feel like it cuts the fat a little bit and also rounds out all the other flavors. When I say small, I mean small. Too much vinegar will ruin the dish. Cheers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not too shabby.

Don't they make Chef jackets in flannel? (semi-inside joke):)

Glad to see you're back online, it's been too long. Nice new track. Keep it up!