Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Paris, Day One

OK, so I'm no audio video genius.

We arrived today.... one day late (thanks Air France) for our trip to Paris and the Loire Valley. After a half hour ride from the airport to our hotel, we checked our bags(the room wasn't ready) and started roaming around our new neighborhood. I gotta tell you, we booked this hotel on a tip from a friend and it couldn't have been more perfect. We are around the block from Lenotre. Literally across the street from one of Paris' most renowned cheese shops. A 15 minute walk to the Champs Elysee. It's awesome. (Oh, yeah. I took a three hour nap in the afternoon. Jet lag's a bitch)

So, I took a TON of photos today....and....videos. No, not videos on my new Flip, but on our digital camera. Well, somewhere during the uploading the camera hung up and lost ALL MY FREAKIN' PHOTOS. Don't be alarmed. I'm gonna reshoot them tomorrow and friday, but I thought I'd give you a run down of what I saw.

First off, lets be VERY clear. The French as a culture take their food WAY more seriously then we Americans. WAY MORE SERIOUSLY. It's so awesome to be in a city where food is such a passion.( Well, it sure beats hurdling fat, limping folks trying to get a 'deal' on 69 cent rump roast at the Wal-Mart.) A simple trip to the corner fish monger(scallops quivering in their shells anyone? Whole turbot? ) or the bakery that is on every block would make that obvious.

Here's what I saw:
1. A 20 whole suckling pig confited in lard. WTF? You had me at 'lard' Paris.
2. An entire restaurant and store devoted to.....yep, you guessed it.....foie gras and truffles.
3. The most amazing fish market I've ever seen....and it's just around the corner from my hotel.
4. Pastry work at Lenotre that makes me want to quit baking because it was so perfect and I'll never get there.
5. The toilet of the Hotel George V is made by Villeroy and Boch. Seriously?
6. 15 McDonald's ads and one McDonald's. FYI, it's difficult to get 'food on the run' here. They not only take their food seriously, but they take the act of eating seriously. They take time. Are you listening America?
7. So many people that I lost count carrying their daily baguette home. That's no joke. They buy for the day.

Best thing I put in my mouth today: Tarte flambee from a pastry shop near the hotel. i took a pic of the front so I'd remember the name, but you already got the memo on my photos. Yippeee!!!!

I'll have more interesting photos and snippets to post tomorrow. Oh yeah. Tomorrow night is our dinner at Helene Darroze.

Here's one video that made it.....enjoy.

3 comments:

KHoar said...

okay so i actually was concerned that you didn't make it....i had a dream that you freaked out and wouldn't board the plane! Glad you made it, have a wonderful time, just be sure to come back!!!!Eat vicariously for the rest of us!

KHoar said...

Okay so i had a dream that you didn't make it to Paris b/c you refused to board the plane! Hope it wasn't too traumatic.....eat vicariously for the rest of us and have a wonderful time!!!

Anonymous said...

did I catch a 'git 'r done' in that video?! Nice. Have a great trip!