Friday, July 24, 2009

This is where it gets stupid folks......

This is where the 'progressive food thinkers' lose me entirely......please read the following excerpt from NYMag.com ......

Alex Talbot, an experimental chef, recently moved to Bucks County, but before that he lived in Queens, and before that he was running the kitchen at a boutique hotel in Pagosa Springs, Colorado, which is where he was when he set out to create a dessert that resembled ice cream in every single way but one: He wanted it to be hot. “To do this in the hot state—that was the quest,” Talbot told me. On Ideas in Food, the blog he writes with his wife, Aki Kamozawa, Talbot posted a recipe for hot vanilla ice cream. All of the ingredients were easily found, as long as you had a good connection at Dow Chemical.

Here's my 'beef'.....there's NOTHING INVENTIVE about hot vanilla ice cream. It's called creme anglaise, make it stable, sculpt it into a swan, do whatever you want with it, but........I think the French cornered the market on this bad boy last century.

I know when I do my food shopping I always run down to Dow Chemical and stock up on some pantry items for a bitchin' dinner.

2 comments:

ostman said...

"I know when I do my food shopping I always run down to Dow Chemical and stock up on some pantry items for a bitchin' dinner."

What's in season there right now?

Anonymous said...

Perfect. I read about this guy when he was cooking in Pagosa Springs, a seasonal haunt for me. There's a reason this hotel failed, small cowboy town. Real food is always a seller, not some reinvented pudding selling for triple price hot ice cream. Love your food views, keeping it real.